What Doctor Should Men See For Low Testosterone?

Testosterone is a vital hormone that is responsible for the development of male characteristics such as muscle mass, deep voice, and sexual and reproductive functions. Testosterone levels are highest in men during adolescence and early adulthood and tend to decline gradually as men age. However, some men experience a sudden drop in testosterone levels, leading to various health complications such as low libido, fatigue, depression, and weight gain. If you suspect you have low testosterone, the first step you should take is to consult a doctor. However, not all doctors are specialized in treating testosterone-related health issues, and it’s essential to know which doctor you should see for low testosterone. In this blog post, we will discuss what doctor men should see for low testosterone.

Primary Care Physician

The primary care physician (PCP) is often the first doctor you consult for any health issues, including low testosterone. PCPs are generalists who are trained to diagnose and treat a wide range of health issues. A PCP can order blood tests to determine your testosterone levels and recommend lifestyle changes or medications. However, PCPs may not have the specialized knowledge required to diagnose and treat complex testosterone-related issues. Depending on the severity of your low testosterone, your PCP may refer you to an endocrinologist or urologist.


Endocrinologists are specialists in hormonal imbalances, including low testosterone. They are trained to evaluate and diagnose hormonal issues and develop a treatment plan. Endocrinologists can perform a thorough physical examination, order blood tests, and prescribe testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) if necessary. Additionally, endocrinologists can identify and treat underlying conditions that may cause low testosterone, such as thyroid disease.


Urologists specialize in diagnosing and treating urinary system disorders and reproductive system disorders in men and women. Urologists are trained to diagnose and treat male reproductive issues such as low testosterone, erectile dysfunction, and infertility. Urologists can recommend lifestyle changes, prescribe medications, or perform surgery if necessary.

Men’s Health Specialist

Men’s health specialists are doctors who specialize in men’s reproductive health. They may have specialized knowledge in treating low testosterone, including TRT and other hormonal therapies. Men’s health specialists can evaluate symptoms, order blood tests, and develop a tailored treatment plan for your specific testosterone-related issue. Additionally, men’s health specialists can address other men’s health issues such as prostate health, sexual dysfunction, and fertility.

In conclusion, the first step to treating low testosterone is to consult a doctor who specializes in hormonal imbalances. While a primary care physician may be able to diagnose and treat mild cases of low testosterone, specialized care may be necessary for more complex issues. Endocrinologists, urologists, and men’s health specialists are specialized doctors with the knowledge and skills required to diagnose and treat low testosterone effectively. By consulting the right doctor, you can receive the appropriate treatment and improve your overall health and quality of life. Remember, If you suspect you have low testosterone, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention.

May 24, 2023

You May Also Like…